Kybella® is the first and only FDA-approved injectable treatment to improve the appearance of moderate to severe fat beneath the chin by physically destroying fat cells.
Kybella® is a prescription medicine used in adults to improve the appearance and profile of moderate to severe fat below the chin (submental fat), also called “double chin.”
Kybella® (injection treatment) might be right for you if:
- You’re bothered by fat under the chin, also known as submental fullness
- You don’t want surgery
- You feel the condition makes you look older or heavier than you actually are
- You eat well and exercise, but submental fullness does not go away
What causes submental fullness?
Submental fullness due to fat beneath the chin can impact a broad range of both male and female adults. Some possible causes are:
Sometimes, even with diet or exercise, the condition may not go away, and it could make you appear older or heavier than you actually are.
How does Kybella® (injection treatment) work?
- When injected into the area beneath your chin, Kybella® destroys fat cells. Once destroyed, those cells cannot store or accumulate fat
- The active ingredient in Kybella® is deoxycholic acid, a naturally occurring molecule in the body that aids in the breakdown and absorption of dietary fat
- Fat cleared from the treatment area is processed through your body’s natural metabolism
How many treatment sessions will I need?
- Most of my clients require 1-2 treatments. Dependent on the level of fullness and desired resutls.
How is Kybella® administered?
- You will be numbed in the office for about 20 minutes.
- Actual injections take approximately 15 minutes.
What can I expect after my treatment session?
- For most patients, downtime occurred most commonly after the first treatment session
- Expect to swell for the first 24 hours lasting 4-7 days.
- You may also experience bruising for up to a week.
- After treatment, apply ice or a cold pack to the treatment area for 10 to 15 minutes, as needed
Will there be side effects?
- Kybella® can cause serious side effects, including nerve injury in the jaw that can cause an uneven smile or facial muscle weakness (experienced by 4 out of 100 people in clinical studies) and trouble swallowing (experienced by 2 out of 100 people in clinical studies)
- The most common treatment area side effects include:
- Areas of hardness
You are not a candidate if you are pregnant or nursing.